Catch crop cultivation
Catch crops have an immense value for soil health and fertility. They are a simple tool for exploiting the soil‘s full potential and at the same time, for saving operating resources such as crop protection agents and fertiliser.
The following are suitable for use as catch crops:
- Alfalfa and other clover varieties
- Forage rye
- Fodder radish
- Forage rape
These and other varieties can also be used in mixtures.
With all catch crops, the desired effect is only obtained when the seed is evenly distributed over the whole surface. Broadcast seeding is the most effective method in most cases.
Other advantages of catch crop cultivation are:
- Reduction in soil erosion
- Weed and pest suppression
- Improving the friable structure of the soil
- Increasing biological activity
- Enrichment of the soil with an easily biodegradable organic substance
- Improved utilisation of farm fertiliser
- Option to use for forage
- Regeneration of the soil
- Legumes serve as nitrogen accumulators
The combination of field passes by using APV catch crop seeders on e.g. cultivators or
disc harrows saves unnecessary field passes. APV implements enable the seeding of catch crops and nurse crops at very small rates.
Find the fitting product for your field of application under the following links: